Brexit: ABTA Issue Advice for Travellers

Added 30/11/2018

ABTA, has published new advice for British holiday makers looking to book holidays after 29 March 2019 if there is a 'no deal' Brexit.

The guidance covers important issues such as what happens if Brexit means you are unable to travel, passport and visa arrangements, driving licences, the EHIC card and travel insurance.

It's safe to book now: Package holidays will be covered by the Package Travel Regulations

ABTA states that package holidays booked with a UK travel company will be protected under the Package Travel Regulations, therefore if the travel company is unable to provide the holiday due to Brexit, the customer will be entitled to a full refund.

However, ABTA also points out that in a no-deal scenario, the European Commission has said flights to and from the UK will still be able to operate.

'No deal' means EHIC cards are no longer valid: Make sure you have travel insurance

The European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) allows any EU citizen to access state medical care when they are travelling in another EU country. In the event of a no-deal Brexit, UK registered EHICs will no longer be valid. 
This means that it is even more important to make sure you have travel insurance for your trip.

Passports and Visas

If travelling to the EU after 29 March 2019, the government recommends that you have at least 6 months left on your passport on the date of your arrival in the EU, however you shouldn’t need to apply for a visa.

The EU commission announced in November that even in a no-deal Brexit, UK travellers will be able to go to EU countries without a visa, providing the same arrangement is offered to EU citizens coming to the UK.

Driving Licences

Under a 'no deal' Brexit UK drivers are likely to have to apply for an international driving permit before driving in EU countries.  These cost £5.50 and are available from the Post Office, RAC and the AA.

Visit the ABTA website for the full guidance >>

News Archive

News Search