The Threat of Terrorism - How Does It Affect Holiday Makers?
Terrorist attacks are rare and it's unlikely that your holiday would be affected by one. All the same, it's best to be prepared for any eventuality.
Don't let the War on Terror ruin your holiday. Research a country thoroughly before you book your holiday to find out if terrorist threats are likely to occur and find out what steps you need to take to protect yourself in the unlikely event of an attack.
The Foreign and Commonwealth Office reviews the threat of terrorism around the world. They constantly update their Travel Advice by Country pages to include information about areas of a country that should be avoided due to possible threats of terrorism. They also outline whether British travellers are particularly at risk when travelling to certain countries.
If you are worried about terrorist threats in a country you wish to visit, take the following steps before you book:
- Visit the FCO website to keep up to date with terrorist threats around the world
- Follow current, global news
- Whilst abroad, be aware of public areas that could be prone to terrorist attacks, such as embassies, hotels, restaurants and bars
- Report anything suspicious to local police, such as abandoned packages
If you are unfortunate enough to get caught up in a terrorist attack, the main thing to remember is to keep calm. Terrorist attacks can be frightening, but there are simple steps you can take to protect yourself and those around you:
- Move out of the area quickly but calmly
- If you are underground, return to ground level as chemicals can be heavier than air
- Alert the emergency services if you can
- Don't leave the scene until you are told to do so - you might be contaminated
Getting caught up in a terrorist attack while you are abroad is unlikely. If you research your destination thoroughly before you leave, then you will be less worried about the threat of terrorism while you are away.