Lost or Stolen Passport: A Guide to Help Get You Out of Trouble
Our handy guide can help you if you lose your passport or have it stolen whilst you are on holiday.
Each year the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) helps thousands of British nationals who have had their passport lost or stolen abroad.
This is a great example of how the financial protection offered by your travel insurance policy can work in conjunction with the practical support provided by the FCO.
Whilst the FCO can issue emergency travel documentation to enable you to get back to the UK, they don't do it free of charge - your travel insurance policy can help cover this cost.
What to do if your passport is lost or stolen:
- Report the loss or theft of your passport to the local police as soon as possible and obtain a police report. You will need this report in order obtain replacement travel documents from the FCO and to make a successful claim on your travel insurance.
- Contact the nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate.
Visit the FCO website for a list of British Embassies around the world including contact phone numbers and addresses.
- Complete a LSO1 form in order to cancel your missing passport. This is important to prevent identity theft which is a growing crime.
- The nearest British Embassy, High Commission or Consulate will be able to issue emergency travel documentation to enable you to return back to the UK.
- Emergency documentation is generally only issued during standard office hours and a fee will be applied. On rare occasions documentation can be issued out of hours but an additional call out charge will also be applied.
- If your whole family has lost their passports you will need to have emergency documentation for everyone, including babies and children to be able to return to the UK.
- Once you return to the UK submit a travel insurance claim to recoup the cost of your emergency documentation, up to the amount shown in your policy schedule. You will need to supply a police report and evidence of the cost of any emergency documentation.
Travel insurance cover for loss of passport
Gold and Platinum policies from Goodtogoinsurance.com provide cover for the reasonable cost of obtaining a replacement passport, up to the amount stated in your schedule of cover, to enable you to return back to the UK following the loss or theft of your passport whilst outside of the UK.
You must report the loss or theft to the local police and obtain a written police report.
Get a travel insurance quote for your next holiday.