Consular Assistance Abroad - What to Do if You Have a Travel Emergency
When you are travelling abroad, enjoying yourself and relaxing is the first thing on your mind. But in the unlikely event of things going wrong, it's nice to know there is help on hand in a foreign land.
British Embassies are there to help you should you run into trouble while you are abroad. They should be able to help you if you have a travel related emergency.
You can call the Consular Assistance team on: 020 7008 5000 (+44 20 7008 5000 if calling from overseas). Take this phone number with you on your travels - you never know when you might need it.
Here are five important reasons why you might need consular assistance while you are abroad:
- If your passport is lost or stolen, they can replace it with a new one. Bear in mind that a fee will be charged but you might be able to claim it back on your travel insurance. Before you travel, check that your policy covers this.
- If you become the victim of a crime, Consular Assistance can get you medical help if you need it, and they can put you in touch with local lawyers if you wish to take legal action.
- If you are admitted to hospital they can contact your travel insurance provider for you, but make sure you take out comprehensive travel insurance to cover potentially high hospital bills.
- If you run out of money, Consular Assistance can offer you a lifeline by providing details of how to transfer money from the UK.
- If you are arrested, it can be a frightening position to be in. Get in touch with Consular Assistance for reassurance. They can't get you out of prison, but they can put you in touch with lawyers and interpreters to argue your case.
Keep the Consular Assistance telephone number with you at all times while you are abroad - you never know when you might need to use it.