Protecting Your Phone and Other Gadgets on Holiday

Nearly all of us take smartphones and other gadgets with us when we travel; after all, we use them on a daily, if not hourly basis, so wouldn’t dream of leaving them at home. 

These gadgets can be expensive to replace, so it’s important to think about how they are protected against the risk of loss, theft or damage whilst we are away. 

There are several ways to get insurance cover for phones and gadgets when we go on holiday:

  • Add gadget cover to your travel insurance

It is unlikely that your travel insurance will include cover for mobile phones as standard, after all it is not really what it is designed for.  But most policies provide the option of adding extra cover for your phones and other gadgets whilst you are away.

Gadget Cover from can cover your smartphone, tablet and other gadgets whilst you are away from just £10.99 for a single trip or £25 for annual cover, which will provide cover for your gadgets every time you go away.

  • Buy a separate gadget or phone insurance

There are now also many insurance providers who offer cover for your phones and other gadgets all year round, after all, if you want your phone protected whilst you are away, why wouldn’t you want to protect it at home as well.   Check the terms and conditions to make sure that they provide cover for taking the gadgets outside of the UK.

  • Check whether cover is available on your household insurance

Some household policies may include cover for mobile phones and other gadgets as standard, just check whether you have cover for outside the home and outside the UK.

What to do if your phone is lost or stolen

  • Contact your network provider and find out the IMEI number

Much like you’d report a missing credit card, you should report your phone as lost or stolen to your network provider straight away so that they can block if and stop anyone else using it. 

If someone else has been using your phone, you will usually have to pay for calls up until the point you reported the phone missing to your network provider.  If you have insurance you may be able to make a claim to recoup the cost of unauthorised calls.

You will also need to find out your phone’s IMEI number (unique identification number) from your network provider.

  • Report to police and obtain a police report

Report the theft of your phone to a local police station as soon as possible, they will ask for the IMEI number

Obtain a crime reference number and a police report.  You may need to do this within 24 hours of the theft in order to make a claim on your insurance.  Check the terms and conditions of your policy to find out what steps you are required to take.

Find out more about Gadget Cover from