Liquids at airports: What’s changing and when?
The restrictions on liquids in hand luggage are being scrapped at last and we’ve got all the details for you.
New high-tech scanning machines allow passengers to take much larger quantities of liquids through security and onto the plane. There are currently two airports in the UK that have these machines fully working: London City Airport and Teesside International Airport.
The new scanners mean that travellers through these airports;
- can carry liquids and gels in containers of up to two litres, rather than the standard 100ml.
- no longer need to take liquids and electronic devices out of bags to be scanned separately..
It shouldn’t be long before we all get the opportunity to benefit from the new relaxed rules as other airports are now testing the machines and the government has set a deadline of June 2024 for most UK airports to have them in place. We can’t wait!
More information about the new rules:
If you are lucky enough to be flying through London City or Teesside airports, you can find full details of the new rules here:London City Airport
Teesside International Airport
Also, remember to check out the rules at your return airport, they may not be the same.
What are the current rules for other UK airports?
For all other airports in the UK, the standard rules still apply at this time.
- Liquids must be placed in containers no larger than 100ml.
- These containers must be placed in a clear, resealable plastic bag with a maximum capacity of 1 litre.
- Only one plastic bag per passenger is allowed.
- The plastic bag must be presented separately at airport security for screening.
- Certain exemptions are made for medications, baby food, and special dietary requirements, but these items must also be presented for screening.
- Electronics must be removed from your bag and screened separately.
You can also check with your specific airport for any updates or changes to these rules before you travel.
If you are travelling abroad, remember to buy travel insurance for your trip. Goodtogoinsurance.com can cover all types of medical conditions and has no upper age limit.