Travel Insurance - Your questions answered

Buying the right travel insurance to meet your needs is important, especially if you have a pre existing medical condition. We've put together some frequently asked questions to give you more information about the type of travel insurance policies we offer.

Single trip travel insurance

  • What is the maximum duration of holiday I can be covered for on a single trip policy?
  • The maximum trip duration we can cover on a single trip policy is 3 months.
  • Do I have to be a UK resident to purchase a policy?
  • Yes. This insurance is only available to United Kingdom Residents. You must have resided within the United Kingdom for no less than 6 months, have a permanent United Kingdom Address and be registered with a United Kingdom General Practitioner. This insurance must be purchased prior to you leaving the United Kingdom on your planned trip.
  • What is the age limit for a single-trip policy?
  • There are no age limits on our single trip policies.
  • Do you cover one-way trips?
  • No.

Annual travel insurance

  • What is the age limit on the Annual Multi-trip policy?
  • There are no limits on our annual travel insurance.
  • How do I renew my annual travel insurance policy?
  • You can renew your policy online or call our customer service unit on 0330 024 9949
  • We want an annual travel insurance policy and we go on holiday in the UK a lot - is this covered?
  • Yes, for any trip that involves at least 2 nights pre-booked accommodation
  • How many times can I travel with an annual multi-trip policy, and how long can each trip be?
  • You can travel as often as you like within the 12 month period. There is a limit of 31 days for any one trip.
  • If my partner and I take out an annual multi-trip policy as a couple, will it cover us when we travel independently?
  • Yes. You will be covered when you travel together or separately.
  • Will my children be covered under a family annual multi-trip policy if they travel without me or my partner?
  • No, they have to be travelling with at least one of the insured adults
  • Do I have to be a UK resident to purchase a policy?
  • Yes. This insurance is only available to United Kingdom Residents. You must have resided within the United Kingdom for no less than 6 months, have a permanent United Kingdom Address and be registered with a United Kingdom General Practitioner. This insurance must be purchased prior to you leaving the United Kingdom on your planned trip.

Medical questions answered

  • What do you define as a pre-existing medical condition?
  • If the answer to any part of the following question is "yes", then there is a pre-existing medical condition and you must declare the relevant condition(s) when purchasing your travel insurance:

    Have you or anyone in your party
    1. been prescribed medication, or received treatment or attended a medical practitioner's surgery in the last 2 years
    2. attended a hospital or clinic as an out-patient or in-patient in the last two years
    3. been currently put on a waiting list for treatment or investigation
    4. been diagnosed by a medical practitioner as suffering from a terminal illness
  • What if I or my travelling companions have pre-existing medical conditions?
  • is designed to offer cover to people with medical conditions and their travelling companions. You will be asked some health questions and in most cases we can offer a quotation to cover your conditions.

    You will also be offered the option to exclude the medical conditions from your cover, but we do not recommend this.

    We strongly recommend that you buy full cover for your conditions, otherwise you will be exposing yourself to substantial medical and repatriation expenses if you fall ill abroad, Moreover, without full cover, if you cancel or curtail your trip due to a pre-existing condition your claim will not be covered.

  • What conditions will you cover?
  • For single trip policies, all types of condition can be covered up to a very high level of severity. For annual multi-trip policies we can cover a more limited degree of severity.
  • What about mental health conditions?
  • These are equally as insurable with as "physical" ones - from mild depression through to bipolar disorder or schizophrenia.
  • I have a close relative in UK with a potentially serious medical condition. He's not travelling but if he became seriously ill or died, I'd want to cancel or curtail my trip. Am I covered?
  • We cannot medically screen someone who is not applying for insurance. So the way we deal with this issue is that you will be covered if your relative's doctor is prepared to state that at the time insurance was taken out, he/she would not have foreseen such a serious deterioration in his or her patient's condition.
  • Can you quote if my condition has not yet been diagnosed?
  • We can only cover conditions which have been diagnosed by a medical practitioner.
  • I am on medication to control my condition and therefore no longer have symptoms. Do I still need to declare this condition?
  • Yes, all medical conditions must be declared even if they are controlled by medication.
  • I''m on a waiting list for an operation? Am I covered if I have to cancel or cut short my trip because the operation becomes urgently available?
  • No.
  • I use a wheelchair. Is it covered?
  • Yes, for loss or damage up to £2,500, providing you own it. What's more, we''ll pay for hire of another one whilst yours is out of action during your trip. Some other mobility aids are covered too (full list - wheelchairs, motorised wheelchairs, walking frames, walking sticks or crutches.)
  • How do you calculate my quotation?
  • The premiums vary according to a combination of factors (mainly age, type and severity of condition, destination and duration of trip).
  • Are there any important policy conditions regarding health?
    1. You must be fit to undertake your planned trip
    2. You must not travel against medical advice or with the intention of obtaining medical treatment or consultation abroad
    3. We will cover you only for pre-existing medical conditions that you have declared to us and which we have accepted in writing. These are set out in the policy document pack, along with the answers you gave to our medical questions.
    4. We will not cover you if your state of health was worse than you told us at the time you purchased your policy.
  • What if I'm pregnant?
  • Travelling When Pregnant -

    Pregnancy and Childbirth are not considered to be medical conditions.
    Our policies are designed to include cover under the Cancellation section (Policy A Section 1), Curtailment section (Policy B Section 1) and Medical and Repatriations Expenses section (Policy B Section 4) for Pregnancy and Childbirth from week 0 to week 28 inclusive for a single pregnancy, or week 0 to week 24 inclusive for a multiple pregnancy, whilst you are away.  

    From the start of week 29 and up until week 40 for a single pregnancy, or the start of week 25 and up until week 40 for a multiple pregnancy, cover is only provided under the Cancellation section (Policy A Section 1), Curtailment section (Policy B Section 1) and Medical and Repatriations Expenses section (Policy B Section 4) if any of the following complications arise: Toxaemia, Gestational hypertension, Ectopic pregnancy, Post-partum haemorrhage, Pre-eclampsia, Molar pregnancy or hydatidiform mole, Retained placenta membrane, Placental abruption, Hyperemesis gravidarum, Placenta praevia, Stillbirth, Miscarriage, medically necessary Emergency Caesarean, A termination needed for medical reasons, Premature birth more than 12 weeks (or 16 weeks if you know you are having more than one baby) before the expected delivery date. 
    The policy will not cover any claims relating to normal pregnancy or normal childbirth. 
    Please note we will not cover denial of boarding by your carrier, so you should check that you will be able to travel with the carrier/airline in advance. 

    It is essential, if at the time of booking your trip you are aware that you are pregnant, that you ensure that you are able to have the required vaccinations for that trip; no cover will be provided for cancellation in the event that, after booking you discover travel is advised against, or you are unable to receive the appropriate and required vaccinations for that country.  

    Please make sure your Medical Practitioner and Midwife are aware of your travel plans, and that there are no known complications and you are fit to undertake the planned trip

  • Surely I don't need medical cover if I''m going to an EU country?
  • Yes you do.

    Some countries have a reciprocal health care agreement with the UK (e.g. the countries in the EU, Switzerland, Australia and New Zealand). UK residents are entitled to necessary medical treatment on a temporary visit to these countries, either free of charge or at a reduced cost by using the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) which you can apply for at your local post office or by calling 0845 606 2030 or online at

    However, covers many crucial costs which are not covered by any reciprocal health agreements. For example the cost of repatriation, additional accommodation costs or the cost of a relative or friend to stay behind, or travel from UK, to accompany you home if you are ill. Moreover, a substantial contribution from the patient towards treatment cost is often required under reciprocal agreements and prescriptions and emergency dental treatment are often excluded too.
  • Should I still apply for an EHIC if I''m visiting one of these countries?
  • If you do have an EHIC and it results in a reduction in the medical costs that we have to pay, we will waive the excess on your claim. So it's worthwhile.

Buying online and policy documentation

  • Is your website secure?
  • Our website secures your personal information using a Verisign SSL certificate. Information exchanged with any address beginning with https is encrypted using SSL before transmission.
  • How can I pay for my travel insurance?
  • We accept - Visa, Mastercard, Visa Debit, Maestro cards
  • I''ve just purchased travel insurance online. How and when will I receive my policy documents?
  • Your personalised policy documents will be emailed to you as soon as you have paid for the policy. If requested, we will also post a policy documentation pack to you which you should receive within 5 working days.
  • Do I need to take my travel policy documents away with me?
  • You should take the policy booklet with you whenever you travel. It contains full details of the policy cover, conditions and exclusions, together with contact details for our 24-hour medical emergency service. For convenience, we provide a one-sheet summary of things you need to know, including important contact details
  • I'd like to shop around first, is it possible to save my travel insurance quote and come back later?
  • You can save your quote at anytime during the process, you just need to click ''save quotation'' and enter your email address.
  • Can I contact by telephone?
  • You can contact us on 0330 024 9949. We are available Monday to Friday from 9am to 5pm.

Other common questions

  • How do we get medical health assistance abroad?
  • If you are admitted to hospital as an in-patient or you have some other kind of medical emergency, you must call the 24-hour medical emergency number shown in your documentation. The assistance company will then take over the conduct of your claim.
  • How do I make a claim through my travel insurance?
  • Please call our claims department on +44 (0)1444 465 590 or download a claim form from our website.
  • What excess would I need to pay if I had to make a claim?
  • The excess varies according to which level of travel insurance cover you choose. There is no excess at all on our Platinum policies. On our Gold policies the standard excess is £75 per person and the medical excess is £150 per person.On silver policies there is an excess of £500 per person on medical claims. Some sections have no excess at all. Please check your policy wording for full details
  • I travel for work and pleasure; do your policies cover for business travel?
  • Yes, providing the work is non-manual. However, Personal Liability claims incurred whilst you are working are not covered.
  • Will I be covered if my tour operator or airline goes bust?
  • If you''re booked on a package tour through a travel agent or tour operator, very often the travel agent or tour operator''s bond with ABTA or the ATOL will pay out.

    If you have booked the elements of your holiday independently the Scheduled Airline Failure section of the policy may provide cover. Sceduled Airline Failure covers the insolvency of the various constituent service companies involved in your trip (eg. airline, operator, hotel, car-hire company etc) where no bond applies to cover you - check the policy wording for full details.
  • What regions/countries does your travel insurance cover?
  • Our policies can cover anywhere world-wide. Premiums vary according to your chosen destination.

    NB. We recommend that you check the Foreign & Commonwealth Office''s travel advice before travelling. Your policy could be void if you go to a country for which they are advising against visiting.
  • Does cover terrorist attacks?
  • If you travel to a country or area which the Foreign & Commonwealth Office (FCO) advises against visiting, you are not covered for claims resulting from any terrorist activity. If you''re not sure what the FCO''s current attitude to your destination is, please ring them on 020 7008 1500 or visit their website,

    Apart from travel to these "non-recommended" countries, medical expenses and personal possessions are covered against terrorist attacks, but cancellation claims are not. If your destination has recently become more dangerous your tour operator will usually agree to you switching your booking elsewhere.