How we use cookies
5ppm from BT landline
(01279 621662)
feefo logo

Travel News > February 2012 > 112 is a number you should know if you are travelling to the EU

ADD TO DEL.ICIO.US  ADD TO DIGG Digg  ADD TO REDDIT Reddit  ADD TO STUMBLEUPON StumbleUpon  Bookmark to: Facebook Facebook  twitter Tweet This   Google+

112 is a number you should know if you are travelling to the EU


112 is the universal number to reach the emergency services throughout the EU.

The number was created by the European Commission in order to give easy access to emergency services to people travelling within the European Union. The number, 112, works in all EU member States and connects the caller to the local emergency services hotline.

A recent survey from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office reveals that most people in the UK do not know what number to call in the event of an emergency on holiday in Europe.

The survey of more than 2000 people in the UK found that only 14% knew that dialling 112 would reach the emergency services across the EU. Lynda St Cooke from the Foreign and Commonwealth Offices said:

“Knowing that you can phone 112 can save you time in critical situations. It is an essential number which we would encourage everyone to carry with them when on holiday in Europe, just as they would carry contact details for their hotel or car rental company. With luck you will never have to use it, but being prepared means you don’t have to worry about the local number to call if you or your family find yourselves in an emergency situation.” If you are travelling within the EU, remember, 112 is the number to call to reach the local emergency services.

Other numbers you should take with you on holiday:

Travel Insurance Emergency Medical Assistance

Your travel insurance policy will provide a 24 hour English speaking helpline for emergency medical assistance; you should take this with you when you travel and call it in the event that you fall ill or have an accident and require medical treatment. Your travel insurance provider will be able to offer support and assist you in getting the medical treatment you need.

Consular Assistance Support Team:

If you need help from the British Consulate, you can call the Consular Assistance Team on 020 7008 1500 (+44 20 7008 1500 if calling from overseas). If you are already abroad, you can also find the nearest British Embassy online. The Consular Service will be able to provide assistance for lost passports or help contact friends or family in the event that you are hospitalised abroad or become a victim of crime.

Bookmark using:

ADD TO DEL.ICIO.US ADD TO DIGG Digg ADD TO REDDIT Reddit  ADD TO STUMBLEUPON StumbleUpon Bookmark to: Facebook Facebook twitter Tweet This  Google+

Related News

Home | How we use cookies | Privacy | Site Map | Become an Affiliate | Media Desk | Equality Act 2010 Insurance Signposting | Accessibility | Contact Us
Pre-existing Medical Conditions | Travel Insurance Over 65 | Single Trip Travel Insurance | Annual Travel Insurance | Ski Insurance | Cruise Insurance | Other Products is a trading name of Ancile Insurance Group Ltd. which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority - No 471641.
Registered Office: East Wing Goffs Oak House, Goffs Lane, Goffs Oak, Herts, EN7 5BW. Registered in England, Company No 05429313. is a wholly owned subsidiary of Ancile Insurance Group Ltd.